The Universal Service Administrative Company (USAC), a dynamic and growing not-for-profit corporation, seeks an accomplished, highly experienced and strategic leader to serve as its Senior Director of Procurement. The Senior Director of Procurement will play a critical role in USAC’s needs to purchase specialized consultative services and other support for its efforts that do not lend themselves to commodity, process-focused procurement methods. Another central area of need and opportunity is IT, including hardware, software, software implementation services, and cloud services.
We are a digital business that is in the process of making significant changes to our IT tools and infrastructure. This requires sophisticated procurement efforts to appropriately enable agile development-based implementations, among other things. More broadly, we require creative and proven approaches to these procurements that effectively balance our goals of speed, quality, competition, and transparency.
Through its administration of the $10 billion Universal Service Fund (USF) programs on behalf of the FCC, USAC works to promote the availability of quality services at just, reasonable and affordable rates and to increase access to advanced telecommunications services throughout the nation. Specifically, the USF programs provide funding for the expansion of telecommunications and broadband access to rural communities and health care facilities, schools and libraries across the country, and low income households. Through program administration, auditing, and outreach, USAC works with contributors, service providers, and program beneficiaries to achieve the program goals articulated by the FCC for each of these programs.
The FCC is reforming the USF to support further investment in and access to evolving broadband infrastructure, making the programs the primary national vehicle to support this critical national priority. USAC, as the administrator of the USF, will play a critical role in supporting the ambitious vision to connect 34 million new people in the United States to high-speed broadband.
The ideal candidate will be an effective leader, natural collaborator, and talented manager with a strategic mindset and keen financial acumen who can effectively advise USAC leadership and thrive in a dynamic environment.
We also seek a sophisticated procurement leader who understands how to develop high quality sources and leverage competition to secure the best value for our organization. Candidate should have experience managing highly complex services and implementation procurements, with particular experience in procuring leading edge IT software, hardware and services. Strong knowledge of the IT vendor community is required. Instituting a culture of continuous market research within the Purchasing team is essential, with particular focus on IT software and services, and consulting services. Finally, the successful candidate should have experience and perspective with overall spend management, so that
This is an extraordinary opportunity for a leader with 10 years of experience creating an organization and business models that align with current best practices and technologies. Has the ability to develop and maintain strong relationships and transparency of communication to build credibility and trust with the programs of USAC and the FCC.
The person has the skills and ability to exercise a high-level of independent decision making while ensuring appropriate communications channels, visibility to the projects and prowess to manage stakeholders, executive team, the FCC and others pertinent to ensure the success of the projects.
• Responsible for managing a team of purchasing specialists, contract specialists, and contract administrators who will work together with the internal clients to acquire services and goods in a manner that meets all of our business objectives and our fiduciary duties as steward of public money;
• Collaboration with user groups on development of statements of work;
• Developing requests for quotes and proposals;
• Conducting open, competitive procurements;
• Facilitating proposal evaluations and award recommendations;
• Coordination with USAC executive and line management and the Federal Communications Commission (FCC); Drafting Board of Directors approval requests; drafting contractual documents;
• Administering contracts after award;
• Developing quarterly and annual procurement plans,
• Providing weekly reporting to user groups on status of open procurements.
• Bachelor's Degree
At least 10 years in contracting and procurement including experience working with procurement rules governing recipients of federal grants
• At least 7 years of people management or leadership experience. Must be able to function as a team leader and manage ad hoc teams formed for review of proposal submissions.
• You enjoy, and are successful in, presenting ideas to senior management and developing their confidence and buy-in.
• You have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Strong background in Microsoft Office productivity tools
• Intermediate skill level using integrated financial applications, which includes a purchasing module, such as Microsoft Dynamics GP
• Demonstrated expertise conducting complex services and/or systems implementation procurements
• Communication and team building skills necessary to lead the purchasing team and to build effective partnerships with internal customers and vendors.
• Proven negotiation skills and demonstrated spend management ability.
• Ability to articulate alternative methods for procuring complex services and tools based on client needs.
• Understanding of the compliance-related obligations associated with the use of public funds.
*We preferably would like someone who has worked for/with government.
The Universal Service Administrative Company is dedicated to achieving universal service. This important principle suggests that all Americans deserve accessible, affordable and pervasive telephone and high-speed broadband connectivity. Our non-profit company is in the midst of a dramatic transformation to ensure that we are configured to achieve this goal.
USAC employees are passionate about our mission. Our work contributes to the success of all Americans. We’ve worked together to build a culture that is collaborative, ambitious, outcome-oriented, and feedback-focused.
USAC offers a comprehensive benefits package, ongoing professional development opportunities, and balance between the demands of work and life.
USAC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.